Kyu test (rank testing for white and brown belts) is held twice each year in April and November near the anniversaries of Master Funakoshi’s birth and death.
The fall kyu test was led by David Altman (University of Nebraska Lincoln Shotokan Karate Club leader) assisted by Mike Lyon, Carl Johnson, and black belts from KC and UNL dojos. Six juniors from Kansas City and one from UNL were tested. All white belts advanced in rank and two advanced to brown belt. It was a successful test and we celebrated at Lulu’s Thai restaurant afterward!
- 3rd kyu – Beyuo Kuukole (KC)
- 3rd kyu – Sam Giuffre (UNL)
- 3rd kyu – Patrick Moeller (KC)
- 6th kyu – Anicet Akanza (KC)
- 7th kyu – Daniel Vasquez (KC)
- 7th kyu – Nick Tallmon (KC)
- 8th kyu – Tim Sullins (KC)